Welcome to AMD OS X

Why not register now to gain full access.

by: guidowss
Hello, buddies!

I currently own an Intel Hackintosh - as you can see within my signature - and although I'm able to edit with Premiere, FCPX is my go-to editing software, due to some specific demands.
I'm looking forward to upgrade either to a Ryzen 7 3700x or a 9 3900x, changing motherboard and RAM while keeping the other components.

Taking into consideration that 4K video editing is my main task, some multithread performance boost would help me to keep up with upcoming projects. But since FCPX is optimized for Apple systems (thus, Intel CPUs), I've been searching for the theoretical correlation between reduced AMD performance in FCPX - which, despite having more threads, lacks Intel's Quick Sync feature.

Truth is, the knowledge about this scenario is somewhat relative to each user, and some real-world reviews would really come in handy. Are there some Final Cut folks who could help me out?

p.s.: Although my current build is Intel-based, I really don't know if it relies on Quick Sync; and I'm yet to test it according to BruceX's test to compare with some of your results.

Advertising

I have a Core i9 9900K with a Radeon VII Hackintosh, And I have a Ryzen 3900X Hackintosh and I tester with the Radeon VII, are you planing to use the Ryzen as you main machine, because that will be suicide my friend... Ryzen right now have a really good performance for processor power but the video cards works bad, for example, in my core i9 9900K with the Radeon VII bruce5K test takes only 5/6 seconds to complete, in my Ryzen hackintosh takes 15 seconds!!! I tested editing, transcoding, color grading, noise reduction and the ryzen have the worst numbers, and the reason is the video editing don’t support all the processing in the processor, the videocard makes the 80% of the job, that means if your video card is working bad like in the ryzen builds, you are f*****.

If you are planing to use a ryzen build for video editing makes no sense at all, I have a Core i7 8700 and with the radeon vii the performance is the same like in my core i9 9900k in 4K footage, if I move to 8K yeah the i9 build gives me more power, but in after, color grading, davinci noise reduction the performance is almost the same!!!! Of couse the core i9 gives me more aggresive multitasking, that’s why I have that build.

The Ryzen is not usefull, in Final I have artifacts and low performance, well in all pro video software, 3D, videogames the performance is bad, just in audio editing and other stuff that uses only the processor (like cpu rendering) you will see a lot of performance.

There is a way to activate VDAdecoding (for h264/h265 hardware encoding decoding) I have it active, but it works really bad too, not like an Intel build.

If you are planing yo move to ryzen my advice is at your own risk... for testing is good or cpu processing, but as a main machine uuuuu my friend is a pro suicide... I have my ryzen for testing as a hobbie and for cpu rendering (audio and 3D) because the ryzen beats my intel hackintosh and even in that I have not 100% trust (sometimes the machine behavies weird), but my Intel hackintosh is my main machine for video editing because beats for a long distance to my Ryzen hackintosh in editing, exports, trabscoding, post processing.

What intel processor do you have? If you are using Final to get a better videocard is the best option. A Vega 64 or if you can a Radeon VII will make your work a lot lot faster...
Post Merged
Other thing the nvidia video cards works really really bad with ryzen, or amd in general, the AMD cards works quitte better, but not enough like to put a better videocard in your actual build, I looked to your signature.

To be honest to get s better video card will make your work faster, I know the ryzen are faster to an intel processor, but getting a Core i9 9900K, maknboard, memory, and a video card you will spend more money I know but it will be just 200/300usd... but you will have complete support and a really premium performance for video editing... as I said I have an Intel core i9 9900k and a Ryzen 3900x builds, and I am not using my ryzen for video editing, because the performance is bad bad bad... is a experiment to know how it is going, if you have to choose because it will be your main editing machine and you don’t have the money for two machine, don’t do it... you will crash against the wall and you will have a lot of problems... for testing and hobbie ok, for pro working is a suicide if you will depend on the machine...
Bioraft wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:02 pm To be honest to get s better video card will make your work faster, I know the ryzen are faster to an intel processor, but getting a Core i9 9900K, maknboard, memory, and a video card you will spend more money I know but it will be just 200/300usd... but you will have complete support and a really premium performance for video editing... as I said I have an Intel core i9 9900k and a Ryzen 3900x builds, and I am not using my ryzen for video editing, because the performance is bad bad bad... is a experiment to know how it is going, if you have to choose because it will be your main editing machine and you don’t have the money for two machine, don’t do it... you will crash against the wall and you will have a lot of problems... for testing and hobbie ok, for pro working is a suicide if you will depend on the machine...
Thank you for the prompt reply and precise comparison. This is exactly what I needed.

By the way, I’ve tested my machine with BruceX and the render took around 33 seconds. Looks pretty 2013 to me.

Even though I could probably benefit from Ryzen’s extra multithread performance, it wouldn’t be worth it if it comes along with the inconsistencies you descibed.
From now on, I have two options: updating my GPU to some Radeon, or updating the CPU to a newer i7. The second option seems more reasonable to me, because I’m pretty satisfied with my 1070 and it should keep me going for some more couple of years.
guidowss wrote:
Bioraft wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:02 pm To be honest to get s better video card will make your work faster, I know the ryzen are faster to an intel processor, but getting a Core i9 9900K, maknboard, memory, and a video card you will spend more money I know but it will be just 200/300usd... but you will have complete support and a really premium performance for video editing... as I said I have an Intel core i9 9900k and a Ryzen 3900x builds, and I am not using my ryzen for video editing, because the performance is bad bad bad... is a experiment to know how it is going, if you have to choose because it will be your main editing machine and you don’t have the money for two machine, don’t do it... you will crash against the wall and you will have a lot of problems... for testing and hobbie ok, for pro working is a suicide if you will depend on the machine...
Thank you for the prompt reply and precise comparison. This is exactly what I needed.

By the way, I’ve tested my machine with BruceX and the render took around 33 seconds. Looks pretty 2013 to me.

Even though I could probably benefit from Ryzen’s extra multithread performance, it wouldn’t be worth it if it comes along with the inconsistencies you descibed.
From now on, I have two options: updating my GPU to some Radeon, or updating the CPU to a newer i7. The second option seems more reasonable to me, because I’m pretty satisfied with my 1070 and it should keep me going for some more couple of years.
Look Nvidia cards have a not that good export performance like a radeon, because Apple uses only radeon right now in there builds, Final cut is optimized for Radeon... for example I had a GTX 1080 ti two years ago, and Bruce5K test took like 18 seconds, not bad at all, but when I moved to a Vega 64 that is supposed to be a slower video card, the test took only 9 seconds, the half of the time, my exports went to fast with the Radoen, and I am happy that I switched to Radeon, because right now Mojave and Catalina (and the next future Mac OS releases) will not support Nvidia and Cuda anymore. You VGA is good for ADOBE, but Radeon has the same or better performance right now in OSX, of course you can still use the GTX 1070 with High sierra, and it will work really good for sure, but if you can get a Radeon RX 590 / Vega 64, believe me in Final Cut this videocards smashes the GTX 1070.

Yeah a newer CPU will help you, my suggest is a Core i7 8700 with a Z390 motherboard, because in the future you will be able to update a i9 9900K. But the Core i7 8700 is almost 3 times faster than you actual Core i7 3770... and yeah don't forget to activate the headless igpu for quicksync to activate VDAdecoding/encoding if you keep your GTX 1070, if you want to use a Radeon RX 590/Vega64, you have to disable the igpu and config you hackintosh as a iMacPro1,1 Smbios, because with that the VDAdeconding/encoding works in the Radeons and believe me is super faster, the half of the time about intel quicksync. Because iMacPro don't have Intel processor with iGPU, they can't use Quicksync, in that case the VDA ascceleration depends on the Radeon and believe me is a lot faster.... I tried in my Ryzen 3900X with the iMacPro1.1 smbios with my Radeon VII to activate Radeon VDAencoding/decoding, is working but it doesn't work like in my Intel build, is slower a lot.
guidowss liked this
amdpush wrote:Hi everybody. Anyone made a test in Premiere Pro ?
I am a profesional editor, and yes I tested my Ryzentosh in all pro programs, in Premiere the experience is better than final cut, but as I said, not the same as an Intel Hackintosh... my config right now is an Ryzen 3900X with an Asrock x570 Extreme4 motherboard with an AMD RX 570. For example to export 8K Apple pro res 422HQ with my Intel Hackintosh Core i9 9900K with the same RX 570 1 minute takes transcoding takes like 3 minutes, with my Ryzentosh takes like 5 minutes... h265 8K takes the same in my Intel Hakcintosh, in the Ryzen takes like 6/7 minutes....

The problem is the videocard performance is decreased and all video pro software uses the videocard to transcode, that means if the videocard is not working right (like in ryzen hackintosh) the performance is weird or bad (like in ryzen hackintosh). The same happens in 3D, I tested with Cinema, Maya, Rihnoceros, softwares that I use a lot and the performance is not that good, too.

I also work in audio editing, in that area, well the Ryzentosh is a lot faster than my Intel Hackintosh, because audio editing depends on the processor 100%, and I can use the power of my 3900X, and even in that sometimes the machines behavies weird, but is ok. In other part I can use my ryzentosh in CPU Rendering for 3D, in that the perfomance is so nice too... beats my i9 9900k with a really huge margin... but that stuff you can do it too in Windows...

To be honest a Ryzen Hackitosh for me is an experiment and to test... for a main machine I will not change my Intel Hackintosh, because with my Radeon VII it destroys any mac, imac, imacpro in the market with a lot less money... I am testing with my Ryzen because well is Ryzen... and I use my Ryzen with windows but I am starting to work with Mac OS but not rely 100% on the machine... it is not possible... I saw people asking because they want to build a Hackintosh with Ryzen as their main machine, in my opinion that is a very very wrong step to do... and for video is the most stupid you can do right now in case you are a profesional... you can't rely on the ryzentosh, the performance is low, the stability sometimes is not that good, to make a ryzen work with osx you have to use a lot of kernel patches!!! that is insane and believe me I am testing... I have a ryzentosh and I am testing hopping that one day is perfect... but now not at all, if you want to work in a profesional way and you don'thave the money as me to build to machines one with Intel Hackintosh and a second with Ryzen Hackintosh, go for the Intel for sure, is a suicide to use a Ryzen for Hackintosh and for use for pro work and rely your work if you will depend on the machine to have money for your life... Ryzentosh has to be look as a experimental and to have one is for testing and support the comunity with your experience hopping one day it would be perfect...
amdpush liked this
Bioraft wrote: also work in audio editing, in that area, well the Ryzentosh is a lot faster than my Intel Hackintosh, because audio editing depends on the processor 100%, and I can use the power of my 3900X, and even in that sometimes the machines behavies weird, but is ok. In other part I can use my ryzentosh in CPU Rendering for 3D, in that the perfomance is so nice too... beats my i9 9900k with a really huge margin... but that stuff you can do it too in Windows...
My friend, I'm planning to build a 3950x ryzentosh when the CPU will release next month with new x570 motherboard
most for audio purposes only, using Logic & Native instruments Kontakt 6 & All the KOMPLETE Softwares, Cubase Using it for stage LIVE Playing

but what do you mean the system behaves weird? do you have pops & clicks something like that? what do you mean?

Also, I want a machine for Graphics a Ryzentosh with Compatible AMD Graphics Card as RX570 will not preform good as on Intel 9900k Build, Correct?
by: Bioraft
deliad wrote:
Bioraft wrote: also work in audio editing, in that area, well the Ryzentosh is a lot faster than my Intel Hackintosh, because audio editing depends on the processor 100%, and I can use the power of my 3900X, and even in that sometimes the machines behavies weird, but is ok. In other part I can use my ryzentosh in CPU Rendering for 3D, in that the perfomance is so nice too... beats my i9 9900k with a really huge margin... but that stuff you can do it too in Windows...
My friend, I'm planning to build a 3950x ryzentosh when the CPU will release next month with new x570 motherboard
most for audio purposes only, using Logic & Native instruments Kontakt 6 & All the KOMPLETE Softwares, Cubase Using it for stage LIVE Playing

but what do you mean the system behaves weird? do you have pops & clicks something like that? what do you mean?

Also, I want a machine for Graphics a Ryzentosh with Compatible AMD Graphics Card as RX570 will not preform good as on Intel 9900k Build, Correct?
Man, if you want for graphics a Ryzentosh you have to run away... it is not usable at all for graphics work at all. Behavies weird in order to random freezes sometimes, random crashes sometimes, you are working just good and after an hour the machine has a bad slow down for 2/3 minutes and later is normal again after a few hours again the same... why do you want a ryzentosh for a main machine? as I said it has no sense at all (in case you have will have an Intel Hackintosh too or you will use Windows, well you have a backup machine or Windows in case you Ryzentosh have crashes or instability, and believe that for sure will happen)... you will crash your head against the wall... and reason is... there is no real macs with AMD Processors... the problems you have to face are a lot... in my case I have an Intel Hackintosh as my main machine and I can rely 100% on the machine... Ihave thunderbolt 3 hotplug support and for video my god I can eve edit 12K!!! with my Radeon VII, with my ryzentosh not possible at all, premiere works weird sometimes crashes, slowdowns, Davinci the same, all programs to be honest...

You have to build a Ryzentosh as a testing and hobbie machine, if someone tells you something diferent is because it has no clue at all about how a pro machine has to work... or is a fanboy... My ryzentosh is a hobbie, everyday I am working to improve the performance and compatibility, but it is no way I can rely on this machine at all with mac osx... of course I am working some stuff with my Ryzentosh but the main work I do in Windows for sure and I rely 100% with Windows... because my Ryzentosh is not reliable at all with Mac OSX!!! is the reality, if you want to build a machine with Mac OS to use a Ryzen is the worst idea posible if you have to rely your work in case you want to make pro work for living... you have to use Intel for sure... Ryzentosh is an experimental mod and you have to take it as it... for testing and that's it... People I know we are trying to make work OSX in a Ryzen and it makes sense if you already have the processor and well you want to try to look how is it going.. .but to want to build a main machine thinking because the processor is more powerfull in other Operating Systems than Mac OS is a big mistake... as I said there is noreal macs with AMD Processors, and because of that Mac OS is not ready for that devices and a lot of problems could happen... if you want a Ryzen you have to use windows and Mac OS as a experimental Hobbie, that is the reality...
amdpush, freeubi liked this
Bioraft wrote:have an Intel Hackintosh as my main machine and I can rely 100% on the machine

Thanks, your answers satisfied me to not going on AMD for that purposes

What MATX Intel build you suggest for 100% Hackintosh and thunderbolt 3 compatibility?

I planning to put 128GB DDR4 RAM on it
deliad wrote:
Bioraft wrote:have an Intel Hackintosh as my main machine and I can rely 100% on the machine

Thanks, your answers satisfied me to not going on AMD for that purposes

What MATX Intel build you suggest for 100% Hackintosh and thunderbolt 3 compatibility?

I planning to put 128GB DDR4 RAM on it
You can use this guide:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/succ ... 80.267551/

In this case you can install a better o lower graphics card, and you can install a better o lower processor, no problem, the thing is the motherboard, that one makes the magic. In my case folowing that guide I built my Thunderbolt 3 Hackintosh with a Core i9 9900K and a Radeon VII, that motherboard with the lastest bios updates and a 9th gen Intel processor supports 32GB DDR4 UDIMMs, that means you can set 128GB Ram with that motherboard...

Hi, I really wish this topic could get more light […]

Congrats and tell me about the installation, if us[…]

@iamso78 , Regarding the NZXT Kraken, it's poss[…]

@iamso78 , My 1TB NVMe SSD works perfectly ever[…]