Welcome to AMD OS X

Why not register now to gain full access.

If you've got your system running near to perfect then you can share your success story here.
Just dropping a line to say I've had great success with my AMD box and running macOS Mojave 10.14.5. Below are the relevant Specs and info about my current computer system.

AMD 1700X @ 4.0GHz
AMD RX Vega 64 8GB video card
32GB RIPJAWS DDR4 RAM 3600MHz @ 3000MHz
Intel 660p 1GB M.2 SSD
Various mechanical hard drives for storage
Corsair H80i all-in-one Water Cooler

I used createinstallmedia on my daughter's intel hackintosh to create my initial 10.14.5 USB thumb drive. I then used the kext's, UEFI drivers and Vanilla config.plist mentioned in the tutorial ( https://vanilla.amd-osx.com/ ). I also used a RadeonVegaLowFansSpeed.kext I found on a forum post i can not seem to find again. Thanks to the unknown original author. I would not have been able to keep my Vega's fans from going bat-crap without it. After this the initial leg work it was smooth sailing for the install.

Post installation I installed the latest clover and copied over the EFI directory from my USB installer. I then used Clover Configurator to edit in the serial numbers and such.

This is pretty much all I did to install macOS 10.14.5. Below are some screenies to show off.
Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 8.15.45 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 8.15.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 8.15.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 8.41.39 AM.png
and for those who need it here is the magical Vega fan kext.
RadeonVegaLowFansSpeed.kext.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Advertising

Here are a few more screenies for your consumption.
Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 8.36.41 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 8.50.08 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 8.49.40 AM.png
One issue I forgot to mention in my first post was graphics performance on the RX Vega (or any other discrete video card really). In gaming it's about 1/3 as fast as under Linux. In games like World of Warcraft I get about 30-40fps on 7 setting with my Hackintosh where as in Linux running WoW in WINE I get a solid locked 99fps. I've read about the performance being lower and understand this but is there anything we can do to eventually make things a bit better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gettingbetter wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:54 pm
could u share your EFI folder?
I sure can. I'm under Linux right now but as soon as I boot back into macOS I will post it.

For reference here is the geekbench results for my i7-8700 computer system.
post-446-0-63935600-1513436338.png
The multi core on the Ryzen is higher due to there being more cores but the single core is higher on the intel. This was to be expected. Overall the Ryzen fares really well.
Post Merged
As requested here is my EFI folder. Hope it helps.
EFI-AMD-OSX.zip
Post Merged
gettingbetter wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:54 pm
could u share your EFI folder?
The forums merged my other post and it's kinda hard to see so here is my EFI folder once again.
EFI-AMD-OSX.zip
I also read about 10.14.5 fixing most Vega 64 fan issues so I removed the RadeonVegaLowFansSpeed.kext and the fan still seems to work as it should. I'm happy there is one less kext I need to have.
I was digging through a box of old parts and I found a Dell DW1703 mini pci-e 802.11n WiFi card. It uses the Atheros AR9485 wifi chip. I had been using an ASUS wifi card with an intel chipset in this Ryzen CPU computer. I figured I'd pop out the intel card and pop back in the Atheros one. The AR9485 was natively supported until Mojave where they removed the drivers. I did some digging through various forum posts and tracked down all the pieces to make this card work on Mojave. I am one step closer to having a bunch of random stuff working on my AMD system.

I have attached the kext's I used to make WiFi work. Bluetooth seemed to work fine without any additional work.
DW1703 WiFi for Mojave 10.14.5.zip
You'll want to use 'Kext Utility' to install the following 4 kext's into your /System/Library/Extensions directory. Injecting them from Clover at boot time does not work. I'm not sure why it doesn't work if injected but I've verified it does not. So just install them to /System/Library/Extensions and be done with it. If you already have any of these kext's in your EFI/EFI/Clover/kexts/* directories then remove the redundant files. You only need one copy of each kext. You will also want to add the -ath9485 boot switch to your Clover config.plist. Below is a screen shot of Clover Configurator showing where to add the switch.
Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 9.25.20 PM.png
And here area couple of other screen shots of various settings of this card in Mojave.
Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 9.09.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 9.09.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 9.10.56 PM.png

I just restored from time machine on a new NVME an[…]

I had the same issue. Vega 64 card, Ryzen 1700x, u[…]

Check: 1. Latest versions of Lilu (1.3.8) and Wha[…]

@Shaneee , Nope didn't work... exact same problem[…]