Welcome to AMD OS X

Why not register now to gain full access.

Not sure if your system will work? Ask for help with a compatibility check.
by: sleeplesswaves
Hello everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post!
I'm in the process of building my first AMD based machine. I'm coming from a Mac paradigm. My dream solution is to run my build dual boot Windows 10 and Mac OS Catalina with two video cards 2080 ti & RX 5700 XT. From my initial research it seems my 3950x AMD processor w/ RX 5700 XT *should* be possible. But I've read mixed results regarding having nvidia & AMD GPUs installed at the same time.

My first question is, just running the AMD RX 5700 XT GPU, would my setup be compatible?
Second, if I add in the 2080 ti card into the mix is it still possible???

Many thanks!
Post Merged
Here is the link to my part picker for component details: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GvKmRk
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 9.08.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 9.08.14 AM.png (330.09 KiB) Viewed 676 times

Advertising

by: Rabati
Hi, it was all ok ? did you install Catalina and then implemented double boot with windows ?

RA
@Rabati I haven't tried this build yet... I'd love to get input on this forum first. I haven't bought all the components for the computer yet, as of now just the CPU, motherboard and case. I'm waiting on the ordering the GPU until I can hopefully find more information on if it will work or not.

I'd love if someone could confirm the Rizen 3950x + RX 5700 XT as a viable combination...

I know the 2 video card combination is tricky, but I'd love if anyone could confirm getting this working or not. I've read that many have to switch cables back and forth from one video card to the other. Anything like that is fine with me as long as I can get it working!

Many thanks for any input!
by: 3pod
Your first set up with the RX 5700 XT should be fine but keep in mind that the 5700 boards will require the boot argument :agdpmod=pikera

Also, sometimes it won't install Mac OS at all with a 5700 board and you might need to borrow an older radeon board like a 580 to finish the install process and then pop the 5700 back in after. I've personally had this issue.

Sorry I can't help you with the second graphics card as I don't have that set up.
@3pod Thanks for the details... I hope I don't have problems b/c I don't have any old boards around... I'm building this new setup from scratch... I'm just waiting on a power supply now... I'll let you know how it goes... I'm holding off on the 2080ti card until I get the base dual boot setup working... Seems like a tricky enough task to start with!
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]