Welcome to AMD OS X

Why not register now to gain full access.

Not sure if your system will work? Ask for help with a compatibility check.
mercury wrote:Hey @fabiosun,
Thanks for the heads up. looking forward to contribute with this configuration soon.

I am thinking if wanted to get Zenith Extreme II or Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme, it appears that the 10Gbe Lan on Gigabyte is Intel X550-AT2 which is not native supported in MacOS unlike the one on Zenith Extreme II
:)
10Gbe lan will be latest of your problem with this rig... :)

Advertising

Update: I tried doing a setup on an Intel 4790k / z87, and initially it stalled in the same place; however this was trivial to get working, as I just had to remove some of the extra included parameters in the default config.plist (several of them are not mentioned during the setup guide, but are important to clear out).

I have the Threadripper back to the state where it passes End Randomseed, but it still fails with "Couldn't allocate memory map".

My first question is -- generally speaking, what operation is happening around this time? What subsystems might possibly be related? Is there a way I can get additional debug information?

Is it worth trying Catalina? This is with Mojave 10.14.6.

I've already swapped the RAM with a different brand, put in a Radeon VII instead of 7850, verified BIOS settings, etc.
IMG_8914.jpg
IMG_8914.jpg (64.46 KiB) Viewed 616 times
Post Merged
I actually got slightly farther on the 3960x. Whereas it previously required safe mode to continue past the memory map failures, toggling a few related settings got me to the same kernel cache load failure that safe mode causes.

Question: Is it possible / advisable for new hardware bring up to build the current XNU sources, which are for 10.14.3? Or follow one of the 10.14.1 precompiled kernel guides? I’m not sure how much other work was needed for Ryzen 3rd gen that wouldn’t be included in those modifications; is it even worth trying or certain not to work?

Finally, although I did reluctantly try Clover bootloader, it encountered the same issue. However, does it have any other settings available that may be of interest?
8E51F63C-F250-43D8-AAB0-FCC8E415D64B.jpeg
8E51F63C-F250-43D8-AAB0-FCC8E415D64B.jpeg (60.18 KiB) Viewed 613 times
@iosengineer
you can avoid that error using DevirtualiseMMio flag in OC
Also in clover you can avoid it using OCQuirks.efi compiled with that option
Best result is a reboot after +++++stage
IMHO in this stage there is no much interest from devs/maintainers to study this new chip/bios
some say it is a bios problem, but noone seems to be interested to have beta testers :P
We have to wait and use in others OS our great beasts :)
Thanks for the heads up. looking forward to contribute with this configuration soon.

I am thinking if wanted to get Zenith Extreme II or Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme, it appears that the 10Gbe Lan on Gigabyte is Intel X550-AT2 which is not native supported in MacOS unlike the one on Zenith Extreme II
You can patch any Intel 10 Gbit Lan Card no matter which chip was used...
Did that already on a lot Intel 10 Gbit Cards and afterwards they work with a small tree driver without any issues under macOS and aswell with the original driver under windows.

Check my tutorial on the Asus WS X299 Sage 10/G which by the way also use the X550-AT2 Chip...
More Infos under the point Ethernet: https://www.hackintosh-forum.de/forum/t ... -sage-10g/
DSM2 wrote:

Did that already on a lot Intel 10 Gbit Cards and afterwards they work with a small tree driver without any issues under macOS and aswell with the original driver under windows.

Check my tutorial on the Asus WS X299 Sage 10/G which by the way also use the X550-AT2 Chip...
More Infos under the point Ethernet: https://www.hackintosh-forum.de/forum/t ... -sage-10g/

Wow!
I just joined this forum, and looked at your signature. I see "AMD Hack Gigabyte TRX40 Designare 3970X. That's exactly where I'm heading, except that I have a 3960X in mind, and plan to patch in a Solarflare SFN5122F 10GbE Ethernet.

Have you already completed the TRX40 build? Do you already post EFI information or a tutorial/instructions/directions and warnings someplace? Does the Thunderbolt Add-in card work? Sorry for the excited list of questions, but I didn't expect that anyone had gotten this far already with the TRX40 chipset.
Thank you @fabiosun, I appreciate your reply — I'm building a better understanding of the boot process at this point, and your comment was clarifying.

@MediaGary — It appears the state of the art on 3960X / 3970X (and presumably 3990X when released) is a failure at some of the earliest stages of boot. If you find any path forward, please do take the time to circle back to this thread and share your findings; it could be a tremendously valuable contribution to the overall community if we have at least one thread that aggregates lessons learned.

In any case, we have an identical board and CPU; from what I can tell, if macOS is ever able to boot on these machines, it's likely the Titan Ridge Thunderbolt card will work at least for devices that are plugged in at boot time (hot-plug is a possibility, but seems like not all installs achieve that). So the key question is whether, and how, we can get the installer booted and subsequently installed system to boot.
Post Merged
@DSM2 — Looking at your sig, do you recommend the C621 chipset / found it has good compatibility? I was also researching the C422 and C246 (the latter's E-2288G is basically a 9900K with ECC support, awesome!!), but there is incredibly limited information on Hackintosh support for these workstation chipsets.

As many people on this Threadripper discussion can probably relate, ECC memory & ZFS are super important to me, and I do need a workstation build. I took a risk getting the TRX40, but if there were a way to know whether C621 / C422 / C246 are well-supported, this would be a huge help.

Does anyone know if Apple uses customized chipsets in the MacPro7,1 & iMacPro1,1, or are they basically stock C621 / C422's?
@MediaGary
I added the Threadripper 3 Maschine to my signature but its not possible at all to Hackintosh it, at least at the moment...
Thunderbolt will not run under MacOS, not only for a while... Not at all because of the integration into the bios!
Thanks to Gigabyte, they made the same garbage with the Gigabyte C621 Aorus Extreme aswell ...
If that wasn't bad enough, nobody at Gigabyte seems to want to correct that and you get the impression that it's wanted this way.
However, very important settings are missing, without which Thunderbolt will never run under MacOS.
Meanwhile almost 4 months past since I am in contact with Gigabyte...
The most incompetent company I ever had to deal with. Honestly!
So better hope and wait until Asus throws a decent board with Thunderbolt on the market or forget about Thunderbolt under macOS.

In Generel Thunderbolt Hot Plug and Thunderbolt function are in general a no brainer with a Titan Ridge on X99/X299/C621 Motherboards as long as a Thunderbolt AIC Header is present.
You just have to correctly apply the paths for the Titan RIDGE in the SSDT and everything will work like it should if it contains the important stuff ;)
You can see it what is necessary aswell in my linked guide a couple of posts back in this thread.

@iosengineer
If I can recommend C621 ? I can but its not that easy like many people will think about it.
I am still the only one running these machines, no matter if its with an Asus Dominus Extreme or the Gigabyte C621 Aorus Extreme.
If you need Thunderbolt try to get a Dominus Extreme, which will be hard to get, since there are none on the market any more.

In the past this motherboard had some issues...There were problems with two faulty resistors...
I had a total of 10 Dominus Extreme and helped ASUS to find the problem.
Only one mainboard out of 10 was not affected by this problem.
I found the problem and forwarded it to ASUS who took all boards off the market and fixed the whole thing (the resistors had to be soldered out and replaced).

Basically I can recommend you to use an X299.
There are of course differences in performance between the C422 and the C621 chipset, but these differences are not so great that they justify the high cost of a C621 chipset.
Apple use nothing special on the MacPro7,1 or the iMacPro1,1 chipset wise...
Apple does not make a special chipset, it is the same stuff as what is already on the market. Apple can also only cook with the water that we use.
The difference is in the CPU names, minimal variations here and there in the specifications, but nothing that matters.
An example for each of the builds you mentioned:

iMacPro1.1 - 18 Core Intel Xeon 2190B CPU is nothing else than the W-2195 CPU known in the server segment with identical performance based on the C422 chipset.
MacPro7.1 - 28 Core Intel Xeon W 3275M CPU is nothing else than the Intel Xeon W 3275 CPU known in the server segment with identical performance based on the C621 chipset.

If you would not need ECC I would recommend you the full way X299 since those are much cheaper and perform much better then an C422 Chip.
With a little overclock an 7980XE will out perform the new MacPro7,1 with an 28 Core without any issues at all.
flames liked this
fabiosun wrote:

:)
10Gbe lan will be latest of your problem with this rig... :)
I looked too far have I :lol:
DSM2 wrote:

Yes, after my post the other day, I went to read further about it and found information about the patch on EEPROM and small tree driver. Will check out your thread too. Thanks for that.
Hey @DSM2 , thanks for sharing your experience with C621 and C422 (and X299 for that matter). I'm really fascinated by your work on the Dominus Extreme board issue! If you happen to have another blog or forum post about this, I'd definitely read it out of personal interest.

To everyone and also @Allubz in particular, several updates from my side:
  • I was able to get macOS booting in a VM. This works in both VMWare ESXi (free for personal use), as well as Debian with Proxmox packages installed.
  • Note that the mce=off boot argument is required on Threadripper 3 until you have the system installed and can upgrade to the recently-released 5.4 linux kernel, which does eliminate the need for the mce=off argument. Because of the mce=off issue, although I was able to install Proxmox directly, I couldn't find how to set that boot argument after the installation and thus went with Debian 10 + Proxmox packages.
  • Then use the KVM / virt-manager stuff, which also many excellent guides online. This guide was fast and flawless: https://github.com/kholia/OSX-KVM, and I've heard this one is excellent too: https://passthroughpo.st/new-and-improv ... he-basics/
  • Finally, although booting on the machine natively is not yet possible, I wanted to share that the hypervisor overhead is confirmed at only about 3%. Running GeekBench 5.1 inside the virtual environment posted a single-core score (typically the toughest to get optimized) of ~1260, which is FASTER than any available Mac, including every configuration of the Mac Pro and iMac Pro.
Although someday it may be possible to boot natively, the performance in the VM is so excellent that the extra PCIe lanes of the Threadripper platform are worth it. Also, it is possible to pass through entire PCIe devices which worked fine for me, such as the Radeon VII being natively recognized. iCloud, iMessage and App Store work fine.

Lastly, in parallel with this I did buy and set up a C246 chipset motherboard with Xeon E-2288G processor. I can highly recommend this to anyone who wants 8 fast cores (may not need 24, but they go up to 5.0GHz max and have hyperthreading), can benefit from ECC / uses ZFS, etc. If you don't need ECC then you can just get a 9900KS. Thunderbolt 3 works great; I haven't installed the settings required for hot-plug, but several true Thunderbolt devices work, including a Promise Pegasus2 R6, Thunderbolt 3 PCIe enclosure with an ATTO SAS 12Gb/s card, and a Thunderbolt 3 NVMe enclosure.

This Xeon E not give you a lot of PCIE bandwidth, but it's a great value with used motherboards available for $150 and the chip only $550. I'm also loading up the Threadripper with Intel datacenter SSDs from eBay (only 18 months old), and can saturate an Infiniband or Thunderbolt 3 network to the Xeon if I find any reason to use the bare-metal machine but benefit from most of the performance of a ZFS instance with a large L2ARC cache.
Allubz liked this
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]