But there is one weird issue with the mouse cursor that I've run into, and while it's not a show stopper it is extremely annoying. What's happening is that when the mouse cursor seems to behave oddly when it turns from the normal pointer arrow to the text selection cursor. It is by far the most noticeable with the Search text field in Music.app, where the movement speed will slow down to a crawl. I made a short screen recording of this behavior, where I'm moving the mouse at roughly the same speed when the cursor is over the text box vs. when it's not. I also feel like I'm experiencing the issue in other applications as well when the cursor turns into the text selection one, but nowhere else is it nearly as bad as with Music.app Search, so I'm not 100% positive if I'm just imagining it or not.
To make sure this isn't a Catalina issue (as this is actually the first machine I've upgraded to Catalina) I also went and upgraded my 2012 rMBP, and that appears to be perfectly fine. Admittedly it's also a different instance of Music.app, but no issues with the Search box there.
Back to the AMD hackintosh, I also tried quitting all the things that adjust mouse behavior - SteelSeries Exact Mouse to disable acceleration, and Logitech G HUB which is used for my mouse (G502 Lightspeed + PowerPlay mat), and none of that seems to have made a difference.
So, at this point I'm not sure if this is an issue caused by being a hackintosh, being specifically an AMD hackintosh, or even possibly my specific instance of Music.app. The next step for testing would be to go back to the Intel hackintosh and upgrade it to Catalina, but that would require a lot of effort (most of the hardware used has been moved to the AMD system), so I'd like to see if anyone has any ideas about this. Because if I'm being honest, if I went through all that trouble I might just end up sticking with the Intel hackintosh after all - I'd like more cores/threads than what the 6C/12T 8700K, but I could live with it for another year or two as I wait for Intel CPUs to (hopefully) catch up, or Apple actually starts using AMD CPUs. And between the Adobe apps issues and this, there are just enough annoyances with the AMD system that I'd rather stick with the tried-and-true Intel-based setup.
E: I see there have been some related topics/posts pertaining to issues with mouse cursor, but the closest thing to a solution (make sure cursor size is normal in System Preferences -> Accessibility -> Display -> Cursor) doesn't apply as mine is already set that way. I did try disabling the "shake to locate" option and that didn't make any difference either.