Welcome to AMD OS X

Why not register now to gain full access.

Chat about almost anything as long as it is within the rules.
by: Filippo2700x
hi there,
I have a Ryzen 7 2700x, i was thinking to install hackintosh on it. I already used macintosh in the past on Intel Based PC i would like to ask you if hackintosh on AMD hardware is also reliable. Let me know your opinion or some experience.
I use my PC for freelancing so i'm worry about possible kernel panic etc.

Thank you

Advertising

by: nbishop8
I've been building hackintoshes for about 5 years now. I built systems using the following CPUs platforms: Haswell (4690k),Skylake (6600k), Haswell Pentium (g3258), AMD FX Series (8350), and Ryzen (1800X). A super short answer is: it will be as reliable as your patience and resolve to the project will allow. You mentioned using the Intel platform on a Mac before, but hackintosh building on any platform is quite different.

My way too long answer... I just felt like writing this morning :thumbup:

Steps on to soapbox and clears throat...

If you want a super easy build that has no issues and requires little to no troubleshooting or sleeve-rolling, then the Apple store is probably right for you. Apple makes almost everything in their ecosystem seamless - but you sacrifice price and performance for that ease of use. You will almost definitely experience some kind of issue(s), likely due to small mistakes in the multifaceted preparation and install process, that will need researched and smoothed over for a successful and smooth macOS install. That is the same for AMD and Intel hackintosh platforms. You kind of have to be prepared for troubleshooting and learning about the process, or the issues that will undoubtedly arise - and need smoothing over - will be very, very frustrating.

Early AMD hackintosh building (just a couple years ago even) was much more difficult and less successful in my opinion than the options that exist now. The last couple years have changed markedly, which I would say are due to 1. Apple's shift towards service-oriented products and continued disregard for their loyal desktop market consumers and 2. Ryzen's recently disruptive role (a good way) in the personal computing (and enterprise) markets. The first has led consumers to fill the void that Apple has left, encouraging a much more robust hackintosh community. The second, AMD's newly burgeoning role in the personal computing sector, has led to significant interest and innovation in hackintosh development on AMD platforms. Because of this, the available information and support for building a hackintosh on an AMD platform is much more attainable than it has ever been, which has made it much easier to build a successful and functional macOS install on an AMD platform.

All that said, I think the hackintosh process on an AMD platform does require a few more steps than currently available intel hackintosh options. However, I also think its more insightful and flexible due to the prelinkedkernel method being used at the moment on AMD platforms. That insight, however, has allowed me to understand the process better - which as also helped SIGNIFICANTLY with troubleshooting issues that arise. One example would be building a "Vanilla" hackintosh instead of an all-in-one solution that many hackintosh methods implement. See https://kb.amd-osx.com/guides/HS/. That link provides great information on the hackintosh process, as well as some really good explanations for what it is you are doing and WHY it is you are doing it. I will say some steps could had been improved upon - specifically as it pertains to customizing your clover partition. Regardless, the information and help is there to definitively create a reliable and smooth macOS experience on an AMD platform. If you are willing to troubleshoot, do some leg-work troubleshooting, and reach out for assistance, then it is definitely possible without knowing all the ins-and-outs of how an operating system works as would a software engineer.

For the most part, any current limitations the exist on the AMD platform also exist on the Intel platform, i.e. GPU issues such as Nvidia support on macOS Mojave or dual GPU use for tasks that require more high-performance computing. Many of the same problems will arise on an Intel platform as an AMD platform - but I do think the AMD methods described here are more elegantly simple and straightforward, which also allow for much cleaner troubleshooting I've found. Many times in the past on intel platforms, it would be difficult to determine what the issue might be. The currently limited options in the AMD market, surprisingly, is also a strength when it comes to hackintosh building. It makes troubleshooting much easier and increases the chances others have the exact device and a solution.

Some exceptions would be related to AMD's inferior motherboard chipsets, such as limited issues that arise from USB compatibility, but more-so due to the PCIE/device limitations inherent to the X470/X370 (and below) chipsets. An example would be the limitations in how many discreet PCIe lanes the motherboard chipsets can provide to increase the devices you can connect to your system. For example, my z170a motherboard from 2015 provided 8 discreet PCIe lanes that allowed me to use two PCIe m.2 ssds, while allowing all the 16 lanes provided by the CPU to be used in the remaining PCIe slots. No X470 platforms provide more than one m.2 ssd to utilize more than 4 pcie lanes - even if you wanted to leverage free lanes on the cpu. Thats just an inherent reality with AMD playing catchup to Intel's decade of platform dominance.

In sum. Yes, you can totally get macOS working very well on your Ryzen CPU. Will it be easy? Meh... Will you have some bumps in the road? I'd be surprised if you didn't. However, I do think there are many reasons to choose an AMD platform for your hackintosh over the current Intel options that are available for a multitude of reasons. I personally think that my AMD hackintohes I've built this year have performed better than the intel hackintoshes I've built in the past - mostly due to the cleaner methods that are being utilized for AMD platform hackintoshin'.
ben higham, Filippo2700x, MacPiston and 1 others liked this
by: Filippo2700x
Thank you so much for your reply, and also for the time you spent to write this message.
My Intel Hackintosh experience was actually good, my hobby is build desktop PC that's why i made my PC with Ryzen. I thought i would use only windows but i started see some youtube videos with people installing OSX on ryzen based pc so i wanted to know some opinions.
I will definitely try Hackintosh on my Ryzen.

Thanks again
by: Ogglord
Hi Filippo,

I've been running Osx on my AMD for the past few days, feels really stable. I am new to Hackintosh scene, but I initially followed this guide (http://hack.slim.ovh/) with success for a Vanilla (kind of) install. Since then I have been learning to compile my kext from source. I'm missing native 32-bit OPEMU support (steam is a no go on mojave 14.1+) but it's a great learning experience so far.
Post Merged
Feel free to reach out if you want to discuss
FriedEngineer liked this
by: gm0rk
Don't remember where I found this version of Steam.
But it's working great under Mojave. Only problem for me is is my Vega 56 no performing so good under Mojave.

Enjoy :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

muy buenas recien instale mac os highy sierra en […]

Black Screen before installation

I had the same issue. Try unplugging and plugging […]

I too have ATI 7610m and the zip file is corrupt[…]

Ryzen 5 with Nvidia 1060

Hi @Johnata , Many thanks for reply. Sorry, toda[…]