Welcome to AMD OS X

Why not register now to gain full access.

General chat and support for running on a Virtual Machine.
by: donaldp
Shaneee wrote:Check the network settings of the VM match your system.
I'm having this problem again (after accidentally breaking the installation :-( and now re-installing), and this fix no longer works. In fact, when I set it to "replicate physical network connection state" it doesn't connect at all! Maybe it was co-incidental that this worked last time?? All I know is whether I use NAT or this, downloading is having issues (keeps stalling before completing). Any ideas at what else I could maybe look at?

Advertising

by: Shaneee
Have you tried a bridged connection? That's what normally works for me.
Shaneee wrote:Have you tried a bridged connection? That's what normally works for me.
Yes. The "replicate physical network connection state" is a check-box sub-option of bridged network, and is what worked for me last time, but isn't working this time, hence wondering what else could be causing the problem. :-(
donaldp wrote:
Shaneee wrote:Have you tried a bridged connection? That's what normally works for me.
Yes. The "replicate physical network connection state" is a check-box sub-option of bridged network, and is what worked for me last time, but isn't working this time, hence wondering what else could be causing the problem. :-(
Found this on a YouTube video,
1st method:
Go to control panel,network and sharing center,change adapter settings,point at your connection and open up properties,choose sharing tab,then the first one check it and type VMnat 1 (the 1 you have (not the VMnat8) ) then open VM and then then edit,network adapter,and Choose Nat the one under bridged
2nd method if Nat doesn't work:
open VM then edit then network adapter then choose bridged
Shaneee wrote:Found this on a YouTube video,
Thanks. Tried it but didn't work (but at least it has me thinking about Windows settings now, which isn't something I had thought to look at - just the VM settings). So frustrating that I broke this installation and had to re-install, as I had it all working previously. :-( (also frustrating I didn't have a backup yet - VMware doesn't have a "clone" option like VB has, so I hadn't looked into yet how to make a backup of it)
Just make a copy of the VM disc somewhere :thumbup:
Shaneee wrote:Just make a copy of the VM disc somewhere :thumbup:
Um, yeah... don't overthink it. :-) As I said, new to using VM's and all that.

I still have the broken one sitting in my recycle bin (deliberately didn't clean it out yet) - is there any way to fix it? What happened is I got confused which VM I was in. As you know, I'm trying to get Xcode to install in 10.11.5, and I saw a prompt to install an iTunes update. I already know updates can break installations, but since Xcode wasn't working anyway I figured it might be worth a shot - maybe why Xcode wasn't installing. Only I wasn't in my 10.11.5 VM, I was in my 10.10.5 VM and the update broke it! :-( If there's some way to get in and tinker with that update, somehow back it out, then I would have my working 10.10.5 back. It won't boot at all ATM, so it would have to be some kind of sneaky thing not done through the front-end.
Was it just an iTunes update? Just that update wouldn't break it but a security update would. You could attach the Yosemite VM's drive to El Capitan and replace the kernel again as that's what the security updates do that breaks the install.
Shaneee wrote:Was it just an iTunes update? Just that update wouldn't break it but a security update would. You could attach the Yosemite VM's drive to El Capitan and replace the kernel again as that's what the security updates do that breaks the install.
Well, as far as I'm aware it was only the iTunes update, but maybe it went ahead with all updates instead of just the one I selected?

Thanks for the suggestion about how to fix the other one - I'll try it later - but in the meantime I have fixed my network issue and got Xamarin re-installed. :-) I was watching a youtube video about how to fix internet problems in OSX VM, which I ended up not following as it was for if your VM wasn't showing any ethernet card at all, however it started out going through the settings, and they clicked on "advanced", which I hadn't even really noticed before, so went looking through that. My connection speed was set to "unlimited", so I thought let's see what happens if I fiddle with that. Tested my speed and was getting 25mbps, so I set it to 10mbps (which was the fastest option less than 100mbps), and lo and behold my download started working. :-)It did stall once, but once I restarted it again it went through ok.

Still want to get El Capitan working at some point, but at least I have a working OSX VM again now ("working" for me means Xamarin and Xcode working as well, not just the basic machine, as it's no use to me without those 2 things)... :-)
by: laurent81
Hi Shaneee,

Thank you so much for your work.

Yosemite VM seems to be run nice in my new Ryzen machine after just changing kernel by Bronya Yosemite kernel
uname -a
Darwin AMDs-Mac-Pro.local 14.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 14.5.0: пятница, 14 апреля 2017 г. 22:59:55 (MSK); ###Bronya###:xnu-2782.40.9/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

I don't know if is necessary to add IOPCIFamily.kext and where, idea?
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]