Welcome to AMD OS X

Why not register now to gain full access.

If you've got your system running near to perfect then you can share your success story here.

Followed the OpenCore Vanilla Desktop Guide step by step without skipping any paragraph (crystal clear instructions).
(Only had 1 major issue pre-install, and that was also described in the Troubleshooting Section.)
What's working: everything I care about as a software developer.
What's kind of working: sleep (fans do not stop spinning)
What's not working: iMessage (don't use), AirDrop (no WiFi) and some other things I don't care about.

Everything went quite smoothly, which actually baffled me to be frank. I'm so glad I didn't purchase the i9 9900K.

Build:
Spoiler:
  • Mainboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor
  • CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.17 CFM Liquid
  • GPU (old): Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 8 GB MI
  • GPU (new): Asus Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB STRIX
  • Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600
  • Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM
  • Storage: Corsair MP510 960 GB M.2-2280 NVME
  • Case: NZXT H510i ATX Mid Tower
  • Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular
BIOS (F11):
Spoiler:
├── Tweaker
│   ├── Advanced CPU Settings
│   │   └── SVM Mode: Disabled
│   └── Extreme Memory Profile(X.M.P.): Profile 1
├── Settings
│   ├── Platform Power
│   │   └── Wake on LAN: Disabled
│   └── IO Ports
│       └── USB Configuration
│           └── Legacy USB Support: Disabled
└── Boot
    ├── Fast Boot: Disabled
    ├── CSM Support: Disabled
    └── Secure Boot
        └── Secure Boot: Disabled
OpenCore (0.5.3):
Spoiler:
├── ACPI
│   ├── SSDT-PLUG.aml (1)
│   ├── SSDT-SBRG.aml
│   └── SSDT-NVME.aml (2)
│   ├── SSDT-USBX.aml (3)
│   └── SSDT-XHC.aml (3)
├── Drivers
│   ├── ApfsDriverLoader.efi
│   ├── FwRuntimeServices.efi
│   └── VBoxHfs.efi
├── Kexts
│   ├── Lilu.kext
│   ├── VirtualSMC.kext
│   ├── NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (4)
│   ├── SmallTreeIntel82576.kext
│   ├── AppleALC.kext (5)
│   ├── AGPMInjector.kext (1)
│   └── AMD-USB-Map.kext (6)
├── Tools
│   └── Shell.efi
├── config.plist
└── OpenCore.efi
(1) SSDT-PLUG enables X86PlatformPlugin which is needed for AGPMInjector
(2) SSDT-NVME makes sure that macOS sees the drives as Internal instead of External
(3) USBX adjusts the power & current, some BT devices do not work otherwise. XHC is for mapping the USB ports, but you can also achieve this via AMD-USB-Map.kext.
(4) You don't need NullCPUPowerManagement.kext if you use this kernel patch
(5) Layout-id 2 works great
(6) Custom (ie. manually made) kernel extension to map the mainboard's USB ports. Not needed if mapping via ACPI (SSDT-XHC).
Synthetic Benchmarks:
Spoiler:
Navi is natively supported only as of 10.15.2. Scores will likely improve in the near future as the drivers become more mature.

Resources Consulted: EFI Folder:
Spoiler:
I'm sorry to disappoint, but I don't share my EFI. If you choose to go the OpenCore route, you must put in the work that it requires.
You absolutely have to understand every line in your config.plist before trying to boot. That shouldn't be a problem after following the provided resources.
However, you can find the SSDTs I used/made to base off of.
Attachments
(4.42 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
Last edited by CerberettiN on Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:40 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Shaneee, gopal334, awesometic and 1 others liked this

Advertising

Nice one. Enjoy your new build :thumbup:

Gule gule kullanin.
I have the same motherboard, did my manual OC config, managed to install but didn't boot. Then I came across this here, compared my setup to yours, adjusted a few things missing and it finally booted! Thank you! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
ulpian wrote:Nice one. Enjoy your new build :thumbup:

Gule gule kullanin.
Thanks. Tesekkürler (:
---
CroChapz wrote:I have the same motherboard, did my manual OC config, managed to install but didn't boot. Then I came across this here, compared my setup to yours, adjusted a few things missing and it finally booted! Thank you! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
You are welcome, I'm glad you got it sorted out in the end.

I also made a few adjustments since I originally posted this thread, namely:
  • SSDT-EC-AMD.aml is not needed, removed
  • With my current monitor setup (ie. I am not using 2 DP ports), I do not need WhateverGreen.kext so, removed
  • I am not getting kernel panics without AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext, also removed (as of 10.15.2)
  • Using a kernel patch, I was able to remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, but I will keep it in the original post. If you are interested, see https://pastebin.com/ksfT0Qpc
  • Added GPU Geekbench 5 Metal score
anti wrote:I have same config. Please share your EFI or config.plist. And I can't find AMD-USB-Map.kext
As I've said in the original post, I won't share my ESP.
Did you take a look at the resources I've provided?
It's a kext you have to create yourself, see "khronokernel's AMD USB mapping guide".
Do you have a wifi+bluetooth card? I have manage to get everything to work except bluetooth, I think it's not getting enough power. I dont see any SSDT-USBX-AMD in ACPI so I guess you didn't have problems with USB power? (as per the end of the khronokernel's AMD USB mapping guide) even though I see that you have the kext to map them. I have also tried with a BT usb dongle but I have the same behaviour, it shows, but can't connect to any device
anti wrote:Ok. Can you share this kext? I have same usb ports, but I had difficulty create it myself. Thanks!
Follow the guide... it is crystal clear. You go into IORegistryExplorer and plug USB 2 and 3 devices and map the ports for each XHCI controller. This particular board has 2: XHC0 and XHC1.
I accidentally rm -rf'd my ESP, so I have to do everything from scratch again myself. *fp*

bullerwins wrote:Do you have a wifi+bluetooth card? I have manage to get everything to work except bluetooth, I think it's not getting enough power. I dont see any SSDT-USBX-AMD in ACPI so I guess you didn't have problems with USB power? (as per the end of the khronokernel's AMD USB mapping guide) even though I see that you have the kext to map them. I have also tried with a BT usb dongle but I have the same behaviour, it shows, but can't connect to any device
I do not have a WiFi/BT card as I do not need it. I also do not feel the need for AirDrop, so I'm fine without it. However, if I were to use one myself, I'd use a Broadcom one to be on the safe side. DW1820 or DW1560.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]