Welcome to AMD OS X

Why not register now to gain full access.

If you've got your system running near to perfect then you can share your success story here.

Advertising

I decided to briefly deviate from TB work and test a Fenvi FV-T919. What I found was that the internal BT's USB power was not being cancelled (XHCI/Port 6). In addressing this mistake, the XHCx devices were separated into their own SSDT files and re-organized (now XHC2, XHC3, XHC4 (reserved for TB PCIe), XCH5 (reserved for built-in TB), and XHCI. A few other errors, described below were found and corrected.

These fixes were uploaded today (3/23/20) to the repository: https://github.com/iGPU/AMD_OC_Ryzen.

The names of files were also slightly adjusted for better clarity of their role (x-Int_BT vs -PCIe_Bt for swapped, internal BT vs PCIe BT devices). These files, along with new images and a new config.plist files were uploaded to the repository. As suggested in the past, backup your current working EFI (and have available on a USB stick for emergency booting), download the latest EFI and transfer you SMBIOS data into the latest config.plist file. (Also transfer any other unique settings into this new config.plist file.)

Also updated were BIOS preset files, both are Auto with TB enabled. The new, second file adds disabled on-board BT/WAN in BIOS. These are simply for convenience and not needed (see the GitHub repository for BIOS details).

Another error was found and corrected (which perhaps CaseySJ can verify). In the SSDT-X570-6-AmdTable.aml file, it indicated "_SB_.PCI0.GPP2.ANS3.x", but GPP2 is named "ANS1". This mistake was corrected inside the file, simply over-write old file to update. This error might affect how TB was working.

Finally, an update to SMCAMDProcessor and its companion AMD Power Gadget app were made. The latest version of these are now in the repository (along with updates of various kexts and drivers).

Please note that with the latest v057, the file names and structure of OpenCore has changed quite a bit. These changes are included in the repository and the config.plist file.

Now, back to TB issues. Hopefully we'll have things improved soon!
Post Merged
deliad wrote:
CaseySJ wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:29 am @iGPU,

Please see my most recent post on the "other" site. I may have found a solution for reading/programming the X570 Creator with the chip already on the motherboard and no need to dismantle the system. I just need someone to try it!!
How? With a clip?
A bit complicated: you need a SOIC programmer rated at 3.3V and with CaseySJ's mods you add a shut/bypass cap and resistor to allow more sensitive reading/writing on an in-circuit chip. His other thread requires a bit of reading to gather the various items and files.
Post Merged
A brief TB update.

The following looks at the built-in TB3 Titan Ridge chip and a PCIe GB-Alpine Ridge. The built-in chip was swapped for a Winbond that was flashed with a modified firmware. GB-Alpine Ridge was placed in slot 4 (GB-Titan Ridge will only work in slot 6, not 4, but then you cannot boot from M2_2 SSD).

The development of the SSDT is very critical. I've included a preliminary one for both a GB-Titan Ridge and GB-Alpine Ridge in the repository. These files have generic ThunderboltDROM values, set for BUS-1 each (since they'd be accompanying the built-in chip assigned to BUS-0). The customized adjustment of DROM values will be covered later (or you can read CaseySJ other thread for massive amounts of detail); it's not important at this stage.

The GB-Alpine Ridge is working okay; the built-in, not so great. This particular Alpine Ridge card works very well on an X299 system, so it is a good board. It too was flashed (it with an Alpine Ridge NVM33 modified firmware). The GB-Alpine Ridge is properly showing [email protected] (see image).

The built-in has an odd response. While the data is being injected (esp well in the USB DSB2 section), see the IORegistryExplorer excerpt, it is not picking up a UID, nor showing a proper BUS 0 node. Similarly, on the PCI section, the built-in is not showing the label "Intel JHL7540 Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 NHI" (the "Titan Ridge" USB entries had a typo, since corrected). I don't understand why the other _DSM data is being injected but not this one line.

Likely problems for the built-in chip: this mobo does not like a substitute Winbond or less than optimal firmware was flashed or, hopefully, a less than optimal SSDT.
Attachments
GB-AlpineRidge.jpg
GB-AlpineRidge.jpg (247.08 KiB) Viewed 920 times
TB_PCI.jpg
TB_PCI.jpg (141.96 KiB) Viewed 920 times
Last edited by iGPU on Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
CaseySJ liked this
@iGPU,

Some questions:

1. Which firmware did you flash to the X570 Creator's built-in chip?
2. Were you able to flash the firmware using the modified circuit with a capacitor and resistor? Or was the chip flashed externally (i.e. after being desoldered)?
3. The ThunderboltDROM in the middle screenshot is incorrect. First byte is CRC8 checksum. Second byte represents the Thunderbolt Bus ID. That ID cannot be so huge (0x9D or decimal 157). The first byte of ThunderboltConfig is also Bus ID, and should be the same as Byte 2 of ThunderboltDROM.
4. Which NVM33 are you using on the flashed GC-Alpine Ridge? We have NVM20 in the "Repository", but if modified NVM33 works, I would love to add it. Who modified NVM33 (so proper credit can be given)?
CaseySJ wrote:@iGPU,

Some questions:

1. Which firmware did you flash to the X570 Creator's built-in chip?
2. Were you able to flash the firmware using the modified circuit with a capacitor and resistor? Or was the chip flashed externally (i.e. after being desoldered)?
3. The ThunderboltDROM in the middle screenshot is incorrect. First byte is CRC8 checksum. Second byte represents the Thunderbolt Bus ID. That ID cannot be so huge (0x9D or decimal 157). The first byte of ThunderboltConfig is also Bus ID, and should be the same as Byte 2 of ThunderboltDROM.
4. Which NVM33 are you using on the flashed GC-Alpine Ridge? We have NVM20 in the "Repository", but if modified NVM33 works, I would love to add it. Who modified NVM33 (so proper credit can be given)?
I must be mistaken regarding the NVM version numbers Both were downloaded from the "other" site but before you'd set up the repository. I'll re-visit both the Titan and Alpine Ridge, comparing your latest to what I wrote out.

EDIT: TR was NVM23 and correct. The AR had an early mod from NUC; it is now flashed with AR NVM20.

EDIT, EDIT: after flashing AR to NVM20, it won't connect in slot-4 (see image of GPP9). I'll test later, but my guess is that it will connect in slot-6, like TR. But this seems to be saying that the modified NUC firmware but 'more compatible' with the mobo in any slot. This makes me what to try to flash the mobo chip with the mod. NUC firmware.

I will send you a summary folder privately which will include IORegistry info. SSDTs are critical.

If I only have an SSDT for the built-in TB, the computer can shutdown and restart (whether or not both the Titan and Alpine Ridge are present (former only works in slot 6; the later is in slot 4 but also works in slot 6). If other TB SSDTs are present, the computer can shutdown, but not re-boot from a re-start.

I'll include the SSDTs I've been using with all UUID intact. I'll also included files from running "log show --last boot | grep" for TB and ACPI.

As for the calculations, the CRC-8 values were calculated using sunshine2k.de (and placing 0xdb for Xor). For example if the first segment is: 88 00 11 11 11 11 11 00 00, the "00 11 11 11 11 11 00 00" is used to derive the first byte: 88. If I change to BUS-1, I'd now use "01 11 11 11 11 11 00 00" including the 2nd byte (which represents the BUS number) for the calcuation. This gives 9B. For BUS-2, I get AE from analyzing "02 11 11 11 11 11 00 00". Or, did I misunderstand and the 2nd byte is not included? If so, then the above CRC-8 remains at 88 for all Buses?

As for the built-in chip on the mobo, I first removed a Winbond chip from ASUS EX3 board that was not functional. The chip seemed good. After removal (not in a circuit), I read it several times, then flashed it with the file you'd uploaded here for me to test, named: ASRock-X570-Creator-MXIC-Elias64Fr-Mod (I'll include it and the read-outs of the original X570 Creator chip that I'd made in the compressed folder with the other items).

I then removed the original chip from the X570 Creator mobo and replaced it with the Winbond chip. I later read the original chip several times once off the board (not in a circuit). These readouts agreed with the ones I'd made when the chip was still on the mobo.

In retrospect, I should have replaced the original chip as I now have too many variables. I have since flashed this original chip with the same firmware you'd sent me.

In looking at how the replacement Winbond chip behaves, it is either not so good or more likely the firmware I flashed is sub-optimal.

I'm game to remove the Winbond and replace the original chip, but first I'd like to get the most optimal modification and re-flash it before placement back on the X570 Creator. Can you modify it?

Thanks for your help.

Edit:

Forgot to mention functionality.

The Titan Ridge (slot 6) works well, hot-plugging on both ports (with TB dock). But on boot no device is connected; they must be plugged in after boot to activate. USB-C drives do not mount, but TB drives do properly mount. The functionality is almost as good as this board on an X299 build except there, connections are made at boot, not requiring a connection after boot.

Alpine Ridge: hot plugging does not work (maybe on hot re-boot?). USB-C does drive does not mount. These things do work on this board using similar SSDTs on the Intel X299.

Built-in: nothing connects; no TB dock, no TB-drive nor USB-C drive.
Attachments
X570-GB-AR-afterNVM20.jpg
X570-GB-AR-afterNVM20.jpg (8.17 KiB) Viewed 892 times
X570-Creator-BI-AR-TR.jpg
X570-Creator-BI-AR-TR.jpg (158.57 KiB) Viewed 905 times
Last edited by iGPU on Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CaseySJ liked this
deliad wrote:Someone summarize the TB3 status

Can we install Gigabyte Titan ridge controller card in X570 creator
It works! buuuuut not 100%. No hot plug, and a lot of setup and so far a lot of trial and error.

Im running the Gigabyte Titan Ridge in my Aorus Ultra rev 1.0 (no thb-c header) with a UAD Arrow, it boots on computer boot, no hot booting! In connection to AMD-OSX thunderbolt not being to spec yet aswell as the UAD drivers being abit half-baked and working "just in time", I experience a lot of audio glitches, theses are less when the control software disconnects from the Arrow, but are still there.

I have a Caldigit TB3 dock that I have not tested yet, that I could try and see if it works.
Basically, you can try and see if it works, but unless you like tinkering, I wouldn't do it yet.
Post Merged
Update: The Caldigit TB3 dock works, atleast the 4 USB ports as well as the Ethernet jack and TB3 daisy chain to the Arrow.
niculw wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:10 pm
deliad wrote:Someone summarize the TB3 status

Can we install Gigabyte Titan ridge controller card in X570 creator
It works! buuuuut not 100%. No hot plug, and a lot of setup and so far a lot of trial and error.

Im running the Gigabyte Titan Ridge in my Aorus Ultra rev 1.0 (no thb-c header) with a UAD Arrow, it boots on computer boot, no hot booting! In connection to AMD-OSX thunderbolt not being to spec yet aswell as the UAD drivers being abit half-baked and working "just in time", I experience a lot of audio glitches, theses are less when the control software disconnects from the Arrow, but are still there.

I have a Caldigit TB3 dock that I have not tested yet, that I could try and see if it works.
Basically, you can try and see if it works, but unless you like tinkering, I wouldn't do it yet.
Post Merged
Update: The Caldigit TB3 dock works, atleast the 4 USB ports as well as the Ethernet jack and TB3 daisy chain to the Arrow.
How about the errors? Audio glitches?
I flashed my GC-Titan Ridge with NVM23 rom from E64Fr using the raspberry pi and dirty method (Warning : I have been lucky it worked the way I did it, just buy a proper ISOC adapter and do it clean and easy :idea: ).
I followed (for the best part) the mini guide posted on the "other forum".

It now works better than ever but still has a few problems :
• Hot plug partialy works.
• LaCie Big5 thunderbolt 2 shows up but not in LaCie RAID manager and RAID array doesn't mount.
• No shutdown when using Tb ssdt (iGPU's), I have to find a fix for that. Without it Tb doesn't work properly.

Other than that usb works, with hot-plug to.
• Network over thunderbolt works with hot-plug to.
• Tb 3 PCIe extender works card are being recognized (10Gb AC107 PCIe card and BMD HD Extreme) works with hot-plug to.

Thunderbolt is still showing in bios.
My motherboard is a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme rev1.0 BIOS F12e.

I soldered the pin 1 and 3 on the card instead of putting a jumper at the end of the header cable because I suspect it caused instant reboot after shutdown. The short on pin 3 and 5 seemed too long and shutdown with enough delay it rebooted the motherboard. ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by PM974 on Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaseySJ, iGPU liked this
if I had to purchase an X570 motherboard today and I wanted TB support today, which would u recommend in order from most to least:

1. AsRock X570 Taichi with an AsRock Titan Ridge AIC
2. AsRock X570 Taichi with Gigabyte TB AIC
3. Gigabyte X570 Mobo with Gigabyte AIC (can it really work without the TB header?)

your advice is most appreciated. I don't need TB support, but I want it b/c I keep my builds for a long time and I need to future proof.
PM974 wrote:I flashed my GC-Titan Ridge with NVM23 rom from E64Fr using the raspberry pi and dirty method. It now works better than ever but still has a few problems :
• Hot plug partialy works.
• LaCie Big5 thunderbolt 2 shows up but not in LaCie RAID manager and RAID array doesn't mount.
• No shutdown when using Tb ssdt (iGPU's), I have to find a fix for that. Without it Tb doesn't work properly.

Other than that usb works, with hot-plug to.
• Network over thunderbolt works with hot-plug to.
• Tb 3 PCIe extender works card are being recognized (10Gb AC107 PCIe card and BMD HD Extreme) works with hot-plug to.
• Tb1 BMD intensity extreme works with hot-plug to.

I soldered the pin 1 and 3 on the card instead of putting a jumper at the end of the header cable because I suspect it caused instant reboot after shutdown. The short on pin 3 and 5 seemed too long and shutdown with enough delay it rebooted the motherboard.
The overall behavior of the card in your build is about what I'm seeing on the ASR X570 Cr.

I've been also looking at the pins on the TB header, although I did not see an instant re-boot either with the GB-Titan Ridge card on X229 or the X570. I've been shorting Pin 3-4-5. I'll investigate more later.

FYI, TB header is listed as:

Pin 1 = Force_Power
Pin 2 = SCI_EVENT
Pin 3 = SLP_S3
Pin 4 = SLP_S5
Pin 5 = Gnd

I'll upload the latest SSDT here in a few minutes and you can try it out. It is really a work in progress. Small SSDT changes have noticeable differences on the TB node.

But I'm getting better response from the GB-Alpine Ridge than the Titan Ridge, with the dock connection appearing automatically on boot. On the GB-Titan Ridge, as you noted, the connection is not automatic, but requires u-nplug/re-plug to activate it.

Also, with the AR, I'm getting better response using the NUC NVM33 rather than the tailored Alpine Ridge NVM20.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]