Welcome to AMD OS X

Why not register now to gain full access.

If you've got your system running near to perfect then you can share your success story here.
About a day ago, YouTuber Snazzy Labs posted a nice video of his 12-core Ryzen 9 3900X running macOS Catalina on an ASRock X570 Creator. The video is linked below.

Although the video itself just casually mentions the Creator's on-board Thunderbolt ports, in the Comments section he states that Thunderbolt not only works, but hot-plug does as well.

This is very surprising if true. My own experience with the same motherboard and same CPU has been very different:
  • I was not able to activate on-board Thunderbolt in macOS despite the various settings in BIOS.
  • BIOS does not contain an option to Force GPIO3 Power, but ASRock tech support assured me that the firmware does in fact do this by default.
  • On the X570 Taichi with the ASRock Thunderbolt 3 Add-in-Card, there is no problem activating Thunderbolt in macOS, but hot-plug fails here as well.
So some questions:
  • Has anyone been able to use Thunderbolt ports on the ASRock X570 Creator in macOS?
  • If so, are you using OpenCore or Clover? Was is necessary to configure BIOS in some special way? Was it necessary to add an SSDT or an ACPI patch or a kext?
  • Finally, if Thunderbolt hot-plug is working for you on any X570 motherboard, then (a) which motherboard, (b) which Thunderbolt card, and (c) what magic did you conjure up to make it work? :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXg9sMuGxB0&t=142s

Advertising

Hello @Herb,

You found me here! Alas, that answer from Snazzy Labs is not very helpful and does not tell us whether actual Thunderbolt devices can either connect or hot plug. This is because 4K and 5K displays operate over DisplayPort, and "drives" might be USB-C. So there's no real evidence yet that true Thunderbolt devices will work.

Because I was never able to activate Thunderbolt on the ASRock Creator, I purchased the ASRock X570 Taichi instead, and added an ASRock Thunderbolt 3 add-in-card (AIC).

With the Taichi and AIC, Thunderbolt on macOS works fine, but only when devices are connected prior to boot. There is no hot plug capability. Any attempt to inject the PCI-Thunderbolt property or the PciHotplugCapable property actually kills Thunderbolt.

Even the hot plug SSDT that creates devices UPSB, DSB0, DSB1, NHI, etc. immediately kills Thunderbolt.

It seems that any attempt to modify the SSDT or inject any IOReg property has the effect of killing Thunderbolt. This happens with both Clover and OpenCore.

There's something goofy going on with ASRock's firmware...
I can hot plug my LG 5k Display on Asrock x570 Taichi (v2.5 BIOS) with Gigabyte Alphine Ridge v2.0 (10.15.1 OC 0.5.3). My display sleep wont wake unless I unplug & plug back in. Unfortunately I dont have any other TB devices, but hotplug USB C devices work as well.
Post Merged
Here another reddit post with Asrock X570 Creator LG 5K display working, I also remember reading another Success Post with LG 5k & Asrock x570 Taichi
https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/com ... on_rx_570/
iamso78 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:32 am I can hot plug my LG 5k Display on Asrock x570 Taichi (v2.5 BIOS) with Gigabyte Alphine Ridge v2.0 (10.15.1 OC 0.5.3). My display sleep wont wake unless I unplug & plug back in. Unfortunately I dont have any other TB devices, but hotplug USB C devices work as well.
Post Merged
Here another reddit post with Asrock X570 Creator LG 5K display working, I also remember reading another Success Post with LG 5k & Asrock x570 Taichi
https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/com ... on_rx_570/
Thanks for the input! Towards the end of the reddit post, under the section What Doesn't Work, the author states:
LG monitor built-in camera and speakers, USB-C hub, possibly due to Thunderbolt 3 drivers not being set up correctly.
So once again we only have confirmation that:
  • DisplayPort works to a Thunderbolt 3 monitor
  • USB-C devices can connect and disconnect
But there's not a single confirmation (as far as I know) of an actual Thunderbolt 3 device being able to connect, let alone hot-plug.
Post Merged
Herb wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:41 pm So close, yet so far away. Do you think Asrock could be persuaded to take a look and possibly update to fix?
I really doubt it!

But perhaps someone in the Hackintosh community will find a way. We might, for example, be able to patch the macOS IOThunderboltFamily.kext or IOPCIFamily.kext or AppleThunderboltPCIAdapters.kext or AppleThunderboltNHI...
@iamso78,

That's awesome on the ASRock Taichi with Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge!
  • Did you have any trouble with the RX 5700 XT?
  • Which RX 5700 XT did you get?
  • Was it necessary to add agdpmod=pikera or any other special setting?
My previous reply was about the ASRock X570 Creator with its built-in Titan Ridge Thunderbolt controller. As far as I know, no one has been able to activate Thunderbolt (true Thunderbolt devices) with macOS.
@CaseySJ,

YES agdpmod=pikera is in boot-args

I still need CUDA drivers for running tensorflow and also gaming on windows, so I am using Powercolor Red Dragon 5700XT (2 slot card) on PCIE3, 1080Ti on PCIE1, Gigabyte Alpine Ridge v2.0 on PCIE5.

I using Opencore 0.5.2 EFI provided by @kwankiu, you can find the post in 10.15 Catalina subforum, I just modfied the Kext & DeviceProperties I am using. I also tested @arnolix provided Opencore 0.5.3 EFI (also in 10.15 Catalina subforum).

Please note there is a problem with fresh 10.15.1 install using Opencore on 5700XT (apparently is MacOS 10.15.1 install bug), I wont repeat it here, you can find my finding and others in @kwankiu post. You can fix the problem via fresh 10.15.0 install and then sotfware update to 10.15.1.

Previously I had Gigabyte 5700XT Gaming OC installed on PCIE1 but it was causing 1 of the 2 Nvme drives (currently running 2xADATA 8200PRO) not recognised on every cold start up (i.e. 1st startup of the day, reset CMOS fix it).
I still waiting (1 month now) for Asrock support to get back to me on why this is happening (defective board or just bad BIOS).

Same Nvme SSD not recognised problem is occasionally happening on my latest build (3950x, 1080Ti, 5700XT, alphine ridge v2.0), I waiting for my Sabrent 1TB Nvme 4.0 to get delivered to see if the problem go away.

FIY I was thinking of switching to the Creator board for native TB3 support since this Nvme SSD not recognised problem was giving me headache, but I think I will sticked with Taichi or Gaming X if Asrock support get back to me saying I have a defective board.
@iamso78,

I purchased the same PowerColor Red Dragon RX 5700 XT a week ago for primarily the same reason -- its relatively diminutive size, but also because of good reviews. You're also correct that 10.15.1 cannot be fresh-installed with the RX 5700-series, but the card can be installed afterwards.

For my ASRock X570 Taichi, I created an OpenCore 0.5.3 configuration two days ago, which works quite well. Just followed the Vanilla OpenCore guide and used ProperTree for editing. ProperTree has the supremely helpful CMD-R (OC Snapshot) function that scans a specified OC folder and fills-in SSDT, drivers, and kexts automatically. Some fine-tuning is needed, but it provides a welcome head start.

Although I have both the Taichi and Creator boards, only the Taichi is currently in use. The Creator is boxed up. I had been thinking of selling it until I saw the RyzenShine video, but alas, still no Thunderbolt. I may hold on to it for a while longer.

As for PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs, I plan to wait for the second generation controller, which should provide Read/Write speeds in excess of 7500MB/s. Do I need that? Heck no. Do I want that? Heck yes. :)
AMD FX & OpenCore support

Hi Guys and Gals, I'm trying to install Catalina O[…]

Thank you. This kext worked without problems.[…]

Try adding these boot args, shikigva=40 shiki-id[…]

Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 7.51.53 PM.png Build[…]