Welcome to AMD OS X

Why not register now to gain full access.

If you've got your system running near to perfect then you can share your success story here.
#50342
manoueltiger wrote:Ok thanks arn0 ! :thumbup:
I'm going to take a 3600X or a 3700X with the asus strix B450-I or the asrock one (I don't know yet... the IO behind is better with asrock) and a RX580.

You don't have problems with you gpu ?
I saw some weird report about gpu low performance, I'm going to use my hack for blender, adobe etc...
not gaming
Audio and LAN will work natively from my 5 min research so that's good. That GPU has native support as well.

I do not intend to use my GPU (which is going to be RX 5700 XT) for other than for hardware acceleration in macOS and maybe small game dev. I will use it for gaming in Windows.

I think in like a month or two RX 5XXX series will have native support so I don't have to worry about low performance anyway.

 Advertising

#50397
Great work!
Wonder if x570 mainboard requires any different BIOS settings?
Thanks for sharing.
#50433
arn0 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:50 am
Hello,

Managed to get a successful install last week. Have been playing around trying different things. I am using it alongside Windows which is going to be for gaming.

I used my Nvidia 1070 in a eGPU setup for gaming hooked to my MacBook Pro 2016. I thought to give the Hackintosh a shot and I am aiming to get this system working although I realize a lot of things aren't gonna work right away. I intend to replace the Nvidia 1070 with the RX 5800X (Edit: Actually meant RX 5700 XT). I've read rumors that Apple is going to support the next gen AMD GPUs with the release of Catalina. Currently there is nothing that specifically indicates that in the betas. It remains to be seen. I'm patient. Here is some info on that: https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/06 ... alina-beta

I followed the vanilla guide here: https://vanilla.amd-osx.com/

What works
  • Native Audio
  • Bluetooth
  • Wifi
  • AirDrop
  • Handoff
  • USB2.0 and USB3.1
  • Ethernet
  • NVMe (both slots)
  • Mic (Blue Snowball)
  • Headphones (front and back panel)
What does not work
  • Second monitor (due to lack of Nvidia driver)
  • Hardware Acceleration (I get 1080p but the UI is sluggish at times)
  • Sleep
Kexts
  • Lilu
  • NullCPUPowerManagement
  • SmallTreeIntel82576 (patched)
  • VirtualSMC
  • AppleALC (version 1.4.0, layout 7)
  • WhateverGreen
Other fixes Drivers
ApfsDriverLoader.efi
AppleImageCodec.efi
AppleKeyAggregator.efi
AppleKeyFeeder.efi
AppleUITheme.efi
AptioInputFix.efi
AptioMemoryFix.efi
AudioDxe.efi
DataHubDxe.efi
FirmwareVolume.efi
NvmExpressDxe.efi
PartitionDxe.efi
Ps2MouseDxe.efi
UsbKbDxe.efi
UsbMouseDxe.efi
VBoxExt4.efi
VirtualSmc.efi

Overall I am very happy with the results. I was actually expecting much worse.

Here is my CPU benchmark: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/13921532

Those scores keep me going.

You can find more details on my hardware in my signature

EDIT 1: Got a Broadcom BCM94360 (Fenvi FV-T919) and wifi and bluetooth is now working natively. That means Airdrop and Handoff are 100% working.
EDIT 2: Audio now working natively using AppleALC 1.4.0, layout 7
That all looks phenomenal! I’m looking at a very similar build and had a few questions
- Does the built-in mix input work at all? (I haven’t been able to find a real definitive answer about this in general for hackintosh).
- Did you just add the WiFi card you noted to a PCIe slot or is it possible to completely swap the card in under the shroud? If you just added it, did you completely remove the built in WiFi card?
- What issues are you seeing with sleep?
#50477
But you can buy a really cheap compatible videocard instead, because you can't be able to use you machine, like a RX 560, not xfx please(that one's doesn't work) because it could be a long long time until that cards get support, or a GT 740 that card works OBB too and it should be less than 80 bucks... I have a similar build but I have audio with voodoo, I will try with AppleALC 1.4.0 to config the audio, thanks for the tip. Be aware that the performance in video is really bad, I have a RX 570 and a Radeon VII and both the performance in 3D sucks... but in profesional like Premiere o final cut the performance is the same like in my Intel Hackintosh, but I can't play video games or 3D modeling. Maybe do you have a tip for that?
Post Merged
manoueltiger wrote:Ok thanks arn0 ! :thumbup:
I'm going to take a 3600X or a 3700X with the asus strix B450-I or the asrock one (I don't know yet... the IO behind is better with asrock) and a RX580.

You don't have problems with you gpu ?
I saw some weird report about gpu low performance, I'm going to use my hack for blender, adobe etc...
not gaming
I have a Radeon VII and the performance in 3D sucks as hell, in premiere, final , after the performance is quite good, but sometimes the programs crashes... Trying to figure it our why, but if you will use the machine for production.. why not going for intel? I know is a AMD forum but just in case I have a Intel Hackintosh because I have artifacts in Final, Premiere crashes sometimes, I can work with my Ryzen for long long renders, but I can't rely 100% on that station, just a 40/60% for production, in my opinion is just stupid to rely in something that will maybe give you headaches time to time, but don't missunderstand me, I am trying day by day to make my Ryzen Hackintosh more and more stable to migrate totally there and forget Intel, but at this point it is not smart to do it if that station will be the machine that will give you the money to pay your bills... is my opinion but at this point I could migrate a lot of work to my Ryzen Hackintosh but not all...
#50486
elegygrey wrote:Great work!
Wonder if x570 mainboard requires any different BIOS settings?
Thanks for sharing.
Not really. I used the defaults with some minor tweaks I don't remember that should not affect anything. There are issues if you disable IOMMU or enabled Above 4G memory. (One of those settings I don't remember now, but most likely the 4G memory). It screws with kernel loading (Aptio fails to find valid memory to load the kernel). Try for yourself first with default settings and only change what really needs changing.
Post Merged
FriedEngineer wrote:
arn0 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:50 am
Hello,

Managed to get a successful install last week. Have been playing around trying different things. I am using it alongside Windows which is going to be for gaming.

I used my Nvidia 1070 in a eGPU setup for gaming hooked to my MacBook Pro 2016. I thought to give the Hackintosh a shot and I am aiming to get this system working although I realize a lot of things aren't gonna work right away. I intend to replace the Nvidia 1070 with the RX 5800X (Edit: Actually meant RX 5700 XT). I've read rumors that Apple is going to support the next gen AMD GPUs with the release of Catalina. Currently there is nothing that specifically indicates that in the betas. It remains to be seen. I'm patient. Here is some info on that: https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/06 ... alina-beta

I followed the vanilla guide here: https://vanilla.amd-osx.com/

What works
  • Native Audio
  • Bluetooth
  • Wifi
  • AirDrop
  • Handoff
  • USB2.0 and USB3.1
  • Ethernet
  • NVMe (both slots)
  • Mic (Blue Snowball)
  • Headphones (front and back panel)
What does not work
  • Second monitor (due to lack of Nvidia driver)
  • Hardware Acceleration (I get 1080p but the UI is sluggish at times)
  • Sleep
Kexts
  • Lilu
  • NullCPUPowerManagement
  • SmallTreeIntel82576 (patched)
  • VirtualSMC
  • AppleALC (version 1.4.0, layout 7)
  • WhateverGreen
Other fixes Drivers
ApfsDriverLoader.efi
AppleImageCodec.efi
AppleKeyAggregator.efi
AppleKeyFeeder.efi
AppleUITheme.efi
AptioInputFix.efi
AptioMemoryFix.efi
AudioDxe.efi
DataHubDxe.efi
FirmwareVolume.efi
NvmExpressDxe.efi
PartitionDxe.efi
Ps2MouseDxe.efi
UsbKbDxe.efi
UsbMouseDxe.efi
VBoxExt4.efi
VirtualSmc.efi

Overall I am very happy with the results. I was actually expecting much worse.

Here is my CPU benchmark: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/13921532

Those scores keep me going.

You can find more details on my hardware in my signature

EDIT 1: Got a Broadcom BCM94360 (Fenvi FV-T919) and wifi and bluetooth is now working natively. That means Airdrop and Handoff are 100% working.
EDIT 2: Audio now working natively using AppleALC 1.4.0, layout 7
That all looks phenomenal! I’m looking at a very similar build and had a few questions
- Does the built-in mix input work at all? (I haven’t been able to find a real definitive answer about this in general for hackintosh).
- Did you just add the WiFi card you noted to a PCIe slot or is it possible to completely swap the card in under the shroud? If you just added it, did you completely remove the built in WiFi card?
- What issues are you seeing with sleep?
-What do you mean by built-in mix input? You mean audio in and out on one jack? I have not tested that.
-I added the WiFi card on a PCIe slot. I don't think its possible to swap the built in card. Its soldered in I think and in addition its covered by a metal plate. In general I highly do not recommend that. MacOS does not recognize the card anyway so why bother. It's not like its gonna crash the system.
-Sleep simply does not work. I click the sleep button and the computer hangs (screen freezes) until I click the mouse or keyboard. CPU powers down a little bit as I notice the fans reving down. But it just doesn't go to an actual sleep state. As in the CX (C4, C5, C6, C7 etc) states do not work. This has to do with 3 things: 1. MOBO and how it generates the C and possibly P states. 2. How the CPU is wired to deal with those states. And 3 how the system activates those states. Afaik its not something you can just fix. There are too many moving parts and macOS is designed to use Intel CPUs and they have different power management implementations from AMD.
#50487
@Bioraft,
Mmmmmh an intel build ...
Why not ...
The problem is the cost, I need to put about 300€ more to have the equivalent of a 3700X... with a 9900K or 250€ more if I take a 9700K instead of a 3600 ...
Not really worth it.

And i often use blender and photoshop, indesign and illustrator, it's not my job.
And I'm going to use xcode too...
#50490
manoueltiger wrote:@Bioraft,
Mmmmmh an intel build ...
Why not ...
The problem is the cost, I need to put about 300€ more to have the equivalent of a 3700X... with a 9900K or 250€ more if I take a 9700K instead of a 3600 ...
Not really worth it.

And i often use blender and photoshop, indesign and illustrator, it's not my job.
And I'm going to use xcode too...
As I said, I have the intel Hackintosh as backup, in case I have performance problems I can jump to my Intel machine. I have news, today I could activate native audio with AppleALC 1.4.0 and audioid=7, I used the patches for 15h_16h, but just the 2 ones for Peryn and delete the one Skylake patch and the two cpu init ryzen ones, you can keep the one about ryzen cpu count, I think the Skylake kernel patches have a problem. Because when I used the 2 Peryn Kernel Patches. You have to copy too the replace ARTFrecuency Kernel Patch, but with taht the performance of the VGA was increased a lot, a lot lot, I can play now Ryse of The Tomb Raider runs at 60FPS, and the programs runs really nice and smooth. The CPU performance is still the same like with the Skylake patches, rocksolid. But still have some artifacts in Final Cut, and Premiere I could edit 12K with my Radeon VII (in case to make the Radeon VII work you have just to set in bios the PCI-express bus in Gen 3, The port and the chipset otherwise there is a kernel panic at the beginning).

Well it was a suggestion in case you are able to afford another machine, otherwise Well you keep trying looking if the machine fits you. Until now I am more happy but I will put my RX 570 in my Ryzentosh, and I will keep the Radeon VII in the Intel Hackintosh, because the performance is still low in 3D in the Ryzentosh, with the RX 570 I don't notice that bad but with the Radeon VII is really noticeable the performance lose, and the artifacts sometimes are really annoying in some programs. But I don't care with the Ryzen, I am using for CPU render and the Ryzen beats without any doubt my Intel Core i9 9900K, I could buy a X299 build but with that money I am building a Ryzen and and Intel. And I am waiting for the 3950X to improve, maybe another Ryzentosh for render.

Right now I am really happy with my Ryzentosh and is performing excelent in graphics not al 100% but a lot better, but in the processor is just a rocketship...
#50492
arn0 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:15 pm

-What do you mean by built-in mix input? You mean audio in and out on one jack? I have not tested that.
-I added the WiFi card on a PCIe slot. I don't think its possible to swap the built in card. Its soldered in I think and in addition its covered by a metal plate. In general I highly do not recommend that. MacOS does not recognize the card anyway so why bother. It's not like its gonna crash the system.
-Sleep simply does not work. I click the sleep button and the computer hangs (screen freezes) until I click the mouse or keyboard. CPU powers down a little bit as I notice the fans reving down. But it just doesn't go to an actual sleep state. As in the CX (C4, C5, C6, C7 etc) states do not work. This has to do with 3 things: 1. MOBO and how it generates the C and possibly P states. 2. How the CPU is wired to deal with those states. And 3 how the system activates those states. Afaik its not something you can just fix. There are too many moving parts and macOS is designed to use Intel CPUs and they have different power management implementations from AMD.
- Sorry. I mean mic input.
- The built in WiFi cards on most boards is just in a vertical M.2 Key-E slot under the shroud. Removing it should be pretty trivial (I’ll verify when my board arrives next week) so I was just curious if you had.
- That makes sense. Thanks for the detailed explanation!
#50493
@Bioraft, interesting, I will try to make a ryzentosh but if it's unstable, I will switch to an intel (unfortunately ...) or keep this build and use windows 10 in dual boot for adobe, it seems blender works well .
arn0 wrote: -I added the WiFi card on a PCIe slot. I don't think its possible to swap the built in card. Its soldered in I think and in addition its covered by a metal plate. In general I highly do not recommend that. MacOS does not recognize the card anyway so why bother. It's not like its gonna crash the system.
maybe for the gigabyte, I was afraid of that.
In fact, it's the same issue with the z390 from gigabyte, you can't change the built-in wifi.
But it's possible with the asus and asrock and it works like a charm with a DW1560 with some kexts and it works OOB with the DW1830, that what I know.
You can also make something, like use the second M.2 slot and connect a broadcom card (Broadcom BCM94360CS2 for example) in PCIe with an adaptator. And it works fine too, except with gigabyte MOBO, so the fenvi is the solution.

Otherwise, you can change the built-in wifi chip, it's a small card mount on a M.2 slot, a NGFF, you can find also NGFF riser to PCIe 1x (i want to try this just for fun)
Sleep wake solutions?

This also happens on my machine. I've first just[…]

Hey there :wave: I have the same issue with my 2[…]

hi guys, thanks for all the hard work getting thi[…]

You'll get it recognised with full resolution but […]