Welcome to AMD OS X

Why not register now to gain full access.

User avatar
by: redband123
#321
Shaneee wrote:
redband123 wrote:
Shaneee wrote:That error exists on all AMD El Capitan installs. Try this kernel instead,
kernel.zip
Well I tried the suggested kernel but got panic.

So it seems I am unable to install El Capitan
Thanks for your assistance
What was the panic? Don't give up your system should work fine with a bit of fine tuning.
I have rebuilt the installer for the third time and added the new kernel again and was able to boot up, but again got stuck at 16min remaining. When opening the log file or clicking on the shutdown command I get the dreaded beachball for about a minute or more before I can get a response - it becomes as slow as molasses.

So I don't know what the problem is. I have in the past installed Mavericks and Yosemite on this PC of mine and both were installed quickly and without a hitch with everything working fine.

 Advertising

User avatar
by: redband123
#322
It has just occurred to me that when I run Disk Utility following a successful boot up of the USB Installer that my hard drives are showing as external drives. Do you think that this might be the cause of the slowdown and inability to fully install El Capitan.

If so what kext is needed to cure the problem?
User avatar
by: redband123
#323
Have tried another method by installing USB-Fix for El Capitan V3 from InsanelyMac following the guidlines therein
but got "waiting for root device" so that didn't work.
It seems to me that the problem is with the USB ports. I have already tried with DummyUSB Kexts and deleting the ports and port counter from the .plist in smbios etc so have run out of idea's.
User avatar
by: Shaneee
#324
Remove the USB fix as it seems to bork your USB. Try adding these kexts to your Extra/Extensions folder. One of them should help with your drive problem and may fix the installation.
(56.65 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
User avatar
by: redband123
#333
Shaneee wrote:Remove the USB fix as it seems to bork your USB. Try adding these kexts to your Extra/Extensions folder. One of them should help with your drive problem and may fix the installation.
Archive.zip
I have managed to complete the USB Installation after waiting 1hr 40min to get past the 16min remaining and now when it restarts to complete the install and I select the Hard drive with El Capitan on it from the dropdown list of the USB Installer it keeps rebooting.

What to do?
User avatar
by: Shaneee
#335
redband123 wrote:
Shaneee wrote:Remove the USB fix as it seems to bork your USB. Try adding these kexts to your Extra/Extensions folder. One of them should help with your drive problem and may fix the installation.
Archive.zip
I have managed to complete the USB Installation after waiting 1hr 40min to get past the 16min remaining and now when it restarts to complete the install and I select the Hard drive with El Capitan on it from the dropdown list of the USB Installer it keeps rebooting.

What to do?
Patience is a virtue :thumbup:

You now need to copy the Kernel to the installed HDD. Boot the installer again and open Terminal from the Utilities menu and use the following commands,
Code: Select all
cd /Volumes/"OS X Base System"/System/Library/Kernels
cp -R kernel /Volumes/"YOUR HDD NAME"/System/Library/Kernels
That should copy the kernel over. Now when booting use the following bootflags,

-f -v ncpi=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=Yes USBBusFix=Yes LegacyUSBOff=Yes
User avatar
by: redband123
#337
Shaneee wrote:
Patience is a virtue

You now need to copy the Kernel to the installed HDD. Boot the installer again and open Terminal from the Utilities menu and use the following commands,
Code: Select all
cd /Volumes/"OS X Base System"/System/Library/Kernels
cp -R kernel /Volumes/"YOUR HDD NAME"/System/Library/Kernels
That should copy the kernel over. Now when booting use the following bootflags,

-f -v ncpi=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=Yes USBBusFix=Yes LegacyUSBOff=Yes

Thanks for the reply. If patience demands that I have to wait nearly 2hrs to install an OS then patience is a pain in the a..
Since I am in Yosemite on a separate drive I assume I can copy the kernel over to the El Capitan drive using terminal in Yosemite or simply copy and paste the kernel - right?
The question is why is it necessary to do this because using Finder I see that the kernel is already in the System/Library/ Kernels of EL Capitan drive.

When you say that I should boot with the flags you mention do you mean when I select the El Capitan Drive from the dropdown menu from the USB Installer to enable me to complete the installation of the OS. If so then presumably these flags will be required in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist after I have installed Enoch-rev.2795 to the El Capitan Drive to allow booting that drive without the need of the USB Installer.
User avatar
by: Shaneee
#340
Ahh well if you have Yosemite to access the El Capitan drive then you can copy and paste with Finder. The kernel that is already there is the vanilla kernel and won't work on AMD. Also copy the Extra folder from your USB drive to the El Capitan drive over the one thats there.
User avatar
by: redband123
#342
Shaneee wrote:Ahh well if you have Yosemite to access the El Capitan drive then you can copy and paste with Finder. The kernel that is already there is the vanilla kernel and won't work on AMD. Also copy the Extra folder from your USB drive to the El Capitan drive over the one thats there.
I am not having any luck - copied kernel etc and pasted Extra folder but bear in mind there is no Extra folder in the ElCapitan Drive. That would not be installed until I had run Enoch on the completed install.
Anyway I tried the bootflags and all manner of combinations but kept getting a series of AppleUSBEHCI stop & restart followed by Invalid kernel opcode[64bit} errors.

I have to say that installing El Capitan is a real pain especially as previously I have installed both Mavericks and Yosemite with everything fully working in less than an hour for each.

I really fell like throwing in the towel on this.
User avatar
by: Shaneee
#343
redband123 wrote:
Shaneee wrote:Ahh well if you have Yosemite to access the El Capitan drive then you can copy and paste with Finder. The kernel that is already there is the vanilla kernel and won't work on AMD. Also copy the Extra folder from your USB drive to the El Capitan drive over the one thats there.
I am not having any luck - copied kernel etc and pasted Extra folder but bear in mind there is no Extra folder in the ElCapitan Drive. That would not be installed until I had run Enoch on the completed install.
Anyway I tried the bootflags and all manner of combinations but kept getting a series of AppleUSBEHCI stop & restart followed by Invalid kernel opcode[64bit} errors.

I have to say that installing El Capitan is a real pain especially as previously I have installed both Mavericks and Yosemite with everything fully working in less than an hour for each.

I really fell like throwing in the towel on this.
No need to give up yet :geek: Give this kernel a go. This is the one I boot my system with.
(4.18 MiB) Downloaded 56 times
As for the USB issues take a look here,
Code: Select all
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/521-usb-fix-for-el-capitan/
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]