There seems to be a lot of confusion on what hardware is supported and what isn’t over here at AMD OS X. In this post I will specifically be addressing CPUs, however if you are looking for information about GPUs or wireless cards, you can find that at the following addresses:
- GPU: https://khronokernel-3.gitbook.io/catalina-gpu-buyers-guide/
- WiFi: https://khronokernel-7.gitbook.io/wireless-buyers-guide/
A general list of unsupported hardware can be found on the URL linked below, but the CPU section of it may not always be fully up to date. This article will always have the latest information in it.
Supported CPU list
- Ryzen 3 1200 up to Ryzen 7 1800X, including all X series chips in that lineup.
- Threadripper 1900X, 1920X, 1950X
- Ryzen 3 2300X up to Ryzen 7 2700X including all X and MAX series chips, excluding all G series chips in that lineup.
- Threadripper 2920X, 2950x, 2970WX, 2990WX
- Ryzen 5 3500 up to Ryzen 9 3950X, including all X and MAX series chips, excluding all G series chips in that lineup.
All of the APUs belonging to the following families do not have a supported iGPU, but are otherwise fully supported.
- Bristol Ridge
The following chips, largely APUs, are supported, but not recommended due to the audio issues in macOS. The iGPU is also not supported.
- Zen (Raven Ridge):
- Athlon 200 GE up to Athlon 240 GE
- Athlon 3000G
- Ryzen 3 2200GE up to Ryzen 5 Pro 2400G, including all Pro series chips in that lineup.
- Zen+ (Picasso):
- Athlon Pro 300GE
- Ryzen 3 3200G up to Ryzen 5 Pro 3400G, including all Pro series chips in that lineup.
- Zen (Raven Ridge):
Some notable unsupported CPUs are included on the list below. These are actively being worked on, so if your CPU is on the list, keep an eye on this post.
- TX40 3000-series Threadripper CPUs:
- Threadripper 3960X
- Threadripper 3970X
- Threadripper 3990X
Laptop CPUs/APUs belonging to any of these families will boot, however are not supported by us due to the lack of iGPU support and power management and due to chipset issues.
Opteron and EPYC CPUs belonging to any of these families are largely untested, however should boot, and we’d love to hear from you if you do manage to test them.
Any CPU (family) not on this list can be can be presumed unsupported. This is especially true for the Ryzen families, 15/16h might have some odd-ones out. If you find any inconsistencies, you can contact the creator of this post on the AMD OS X Discord server, with the tag is NoOne#8086